99 Bolts is an survival-themed FPS set in the Half-Life 2 universe. The game takes place several years after the Seven Hour War, but several years before City 17 is destroyed.
The player will traverse a vast expanse of nuclear wasteland sitting on the outskirts of a Combine-controlled city.
Alongside a scavenged arsenal of pistols and machine guns, the player must use 99 crossbow bolts wisely and efficiently to assassinate the city's entire Combine chain of command - including its violent and enigmatic adminstrator, Ava Winona.
- An urban and suburban nuclear wasteland to explore and pillage
- You can snipe to your heart's delight with 99 crossbow bolts (but use them wisely)
- An interesting take on the aftermath of the Seven Hour War
- May 2009 - Concept sketches for 99 Bolts maps began.
- June 2009 - The Mod DB page for the mod was started in June, alongside Hammer mapping.
- September 2009 - Some "proof of concept" maps were released, to test the community's reception of semi-linear wasteland gameplay.
- October 2009 thru May 2011 - Production went smoothly. A great deal of story-writing and level concepts were made. Also, a lot of the minute-by-minute gameplay was fleshed out. A few people volunteered to assist with the mod.
- May 2011 - The mod went on a production hiatus in May 2011 so the lead designer could make time for a more fruitful Half-Life 2 mod: Room Escape.
Ben Dunbar - Level design. Started learning Hammer in January 2009. (AKA "zonbie")
Tidus - Models. Part-time status.
Bekey - Textures. Part-time status.